Limited game time for Matt Gottschalk this year due to various commitments but he’s been following our fortunes and has penned the below…
“Hope all is well.
Just wanted to pass on my congratulations to both the 1s and 2s – I was following the 2s on the Twitter feed all day, and great to see they cemented their promotion along with the 1s. Overall another fantastic season! Read more
Saturday 5th August 2017
Travelbag Surrey Championship Division 4
Churt 183 all out (48.1 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon 149 all out (35.1 overs)
Churt won by 7 runs (Revised target of 157 in 37 overs)
A tremendous advert for the League saw leaders Churt edge out 2nd placed Stoke with a great fightback. Read more
Saturday 24th June 2017 Read more
Travelbag Surrey Championship Division 4 – 2nd XI Competition
Hampton Wick Royal 2nd XI 260 for 6 declared (48.5 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon 2nd XI 191 for 9 (52 overs)
Match Drawn – ‘Winning Draw’ to Hampton Wick Royal 2nd XI
We haven’t had one of these for a while, so here we go with this addition to series. (Link to them all here : http://www.stokecc.co.uk/my-greatest-xi/)
Club Secretary Phippsy lets talks us know his Greatest Stoke XI since joining us in 2008… Read more
Congrats to Dom Morley who wins the 2016-2017 Stoke Fantasy Football League.
1. Morls’ Men – Dom Morley – 2326 Read more
2. No Fuchs Given – Robbie Parrett – 2192
3. JigarKaCheelka – Raja Singh – 2096
4. Mighty Tigers – Jeremy Connell – 2045
5. Tea and Busquets – Matt Gottschalk – 1967
6. Balotelli-Tubbies – Patrick Wilson – 1951
7. Selection Nightmares – Ralph Coleman – 1910
8. Townsend FC – Ben Townsend – 1898
9. ParkTheBus FC – Jack Townsend – 1855
10. Martial Law – Will Thomson – 1841
11. Ctrl Alt De Laet – Charlie Hill – 1831
12. Dogwood Rovers – Daniel Gluckman – 1761
13. Bafana Bafana FC – Nico Spreeth – 1717
With Pagie reminiscing about the 1st XI’s promotion day out at Sanderstead in 2008, (http://www.stokecc.co.uk/2017/02/04/my-greatest-xi-andy-page/), the same day the 2nd XI crushed Lingfield to secure the Championship of the 2nd XI competition. Five of Richie P’s greatest XI, (http://www.stokecc.co.uk/2016/12/11/stoke-dabernon-advent-calendar-2016-11/), were in the side that day, and a few were out with Logie last week. Here is the team… Read more
The next Stoker to put forward his squad and greatest final XI is Dom Morley, who has written to us from his placement in the States…
Had a bit of time on my hands out here in Montana so thought I’d chip in to the best XI that I’ve played with debate, although mine is a very modern team: Read more
Ali Mac & Jack took their total of career run-outs to 19 in 2016. 3rd on the list of all-time run-outs effected, (http://sdacc.play-cricket.com/website/web_pages/88651 – sort this link by run-outs), is Matt Gottschalk who continues to maintain this web-site for your entertainment. Read more
11 is for “My Greatest XI”
Listening to an old audio-book of Richie Benaud’s, in it he devotes a couple of chapters to what he calls “My Greatest XI.” By his definition they had to:
* Be brilliant cricketers, characters and good mixers on & off the pitch as they would be representing him. Read more
* Have a beneficial effect on the game, be champions and have left an influence on cricket.
* Play on good pitches with pace, good for shots and fast bowlers, with spin to come into the game later on.
Yesterday evening Stokers were out in force at The Oval for the 49th Surrey Championship Annual Dinner.
Sat at one table, (pictured), were Toby Tarrant, (who doubled up as our other table’s wine waiter for part of the evening – see below), Will Frost, Dan Gluckman, Charlie Hill, James Trower, James Whitmarsh, Jack Raimondo and Will Gudgeon. Will also brought along a newbie for next year in the form of his mate Kane. It was great to see Billy Newman there too who we hope to see back on the field next season. Read more