1st XI Win Again. Subba Row 105 not out

Saturday 28th July 2018
Travelbag Surrey Championship – Division 3
Staines & Laleham 199 all out (49.5 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon 200 for 4 (32.2 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon won by 6 wickets

An efficient put in, restrict & chase exercise at The Rec saw Stoke extend their unbeaten run to eight games and retain control of their own destiny with five games to go.

Robbie Blackburn reduced the visitors to 19 for 3 when, having found his range, he castled Bolton for a duck, then ran deliveries across left-handers Ahmed for 14 and Ramdin for a fourth baller, catches for Will Gudgeon and Shawn Dyson who were part of an expectant cordon. These wickets owed a great deal to the pressure created at the other end by Toby Tarrant who conceded just eleven runs from his opening nine over spell.

Substance to the visitors’ total came from Arshad who added a further 38 runs with Smith before the latter fell to Dyson’s second ball for 15, Gudgeon making another good grab. New arrival Langworth played as positively as he could given the quality of the bowling and fielding; and whilst a partnership of 78 developed, there was never any sense of a shift in momentum in the match and cool heads were kept on another warm afternoon.

Langworth reached 33 before hitting Ian Hopton to Dyson at mid-wicket; and despite Arshad continuing to accumulate runs at an effective rate, he ran out of partners quickly as no-one stayed with him, not even former Middlesex man Bloomfield. (http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/9132.html)

Dyson, (3 for 57), and Will Frost, (2 for 33), shared the next four wickets; Frost’s first was a smart stumping of Venkataraman by Will Thomson who had a bye-less afternoon behind the timbers; the second being that of Arshad who cut to point for 95 to make it 178 for 9.

As was the case in the early season fixture a nuisance last wicket stand of 21 held Stoke up – No.11 Dunne looked a very accomplished player – but Hopton, (2 for 48), closed the innings when Archer was leg before sweeping.

Max Subba Row and James Trower gave the chase a nice start with an opening stand of 34 that ended when Trower, (14), was bowled playing back to one from Dunne that kept low.

Subba Row was joined by Gudgeon and they moved Stoke into a position of dominance with a stand of 98 at better than a run-a-ball. Gudgeon smashed eight fours and a six on his way to 51 from 40 balls faced. His dismissal was one of two lbws in the same over to Arshad who picked up Tarrant’s wicket after he was promoted to number four due to an early evening engagement.

Subba Row was already 61 not out at this point and in partnership with Alastair Curran, who was moved ahead of Dyson to give him some middle time ahead of the run-in, kept the board moving.

The only question was whether Subba Row would be able to complete a maiden century for the Club before Stoke ran out of runs to chase. He sneaked home with a handful to spare, completing his 100 from 98 balls.

In the over after Curran, (22 from 26), fell to a sharp return catch, Subba Row hit a four to tie the scores, then made the winning hit with the best part of seventeen overs to spare. 105 not out with sixteen 16 fours and two sixes, and the second player from our colts’ system in the space of 72 hours to get on to the hundreds board for the first time. (http://www.stokecc.co.uk/centuries/)

A very satisfying performance and no repeat of the mad hour in the early season fixture between the sides. An already buoyant group received a further boost later in the evening when news came through that neither of the sides pushing for promotion with them were able to register a win. This presents Stoke with the opportunity to put distance between themselves and third placed Epsom next Saturday when the sides meet next weekend.

Scorecard : http://sdacc.play-cricket.com/website/results/3302792