Sunday Nine beat the Chelsea Nomads

Sunday 15th July 2018
Chelsea Nomads 191 for 9 (40 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon 192 for 3 (33.4 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon won by 7 wickets

With World Cup fever apparently over on Wednesday night, this long-standing fixture was confirmed the following evening with the opposition saying “we have ten – should be able to get an 11th” and Stoke having 14 to pick from. A few of the 14 switched to Saturday to make the 3rd XI match happen, leaving us with 10+TBC – even if TBC wasn’t around, still a good ten. Sadly TBC wasn’t available, no worries there…but then two pulled out with bad backs – one first thing, another an hour before the start – resulting in an SOS. Roddy Kelso answered the call, so having lost a toss committing us to a fielding stint and no chance to sign up any others we made do with nine…and what a performance on another hot day.

Stoke made early inroads into the visitors’ top order, that was also re-juggled as a wrong turn on the motorway saw three of them arrive just as the first ball was bowled. Ben Townsend struck first after Fuller mis-pulled to Moumer Khara at square; Khara then took a quick brace when Fitzgerald dollied one up to Neil Foster behind the timbers, then Phelan chipped one to Hamza Hafeez at mid-on. 16 for 3 was soon 27 for 4 when Stephen Finch took a stinging catch at gully off first change Thomas Dennis to account for Sisley whose only runs came via a five including overthrows.

Thomas, who has made runs in this fixture before, toughed it out and visiting skipper J.Asad hung around with him to add 39. The latter was lost to an lbw decision on a full ball, (right arm around the wicket), from sixth bowler Hafeez. Thomas wore a nasty short ball early in his knock so decided to take on the spin. He had some success before Patrick O’Neill despatched him for 37. 80 for 6. Game management time? Let’s see what the next one in does…

Good job we waited. No.8 Whiting had his “…he comes off once every 20 or so…” day and crashed the ball to all parts, taking 26 in one over and hitting the ball in unusual areas, profiting greatly from having two fewer fielders than normal to miss.

All the bowlers had second spells – that were kept short throughout to mix things up and keep people interested – and kept going on a warm afternoon, notably Townsend who was back in the groove. The 7th wicket partnership realised 101, just 8 of them scored by Sandhu who was dismissed in the penultimate over. The bowler was the returning O’Neill, (3 for 34), who then took Whiting’s wicket next ball for 76.

The hat-trick ball was negotiated by the opposition guest player Dugdale, (he of Dire Straits & others’ tour organisation fame and an MCC member according to his mate who watched the second innings – we never got the chance to ask him about his first meeting with Jimi Hendrix), and the last ball of the innings saw him call through the unfortunate I.Asad who was run out by Neil Foster with an accurate underarm thrown to Roddy Kelso at the bowler’s end. 191 for 9 in 40 overs.

Something to chase and for a sizeable crowd to watch.

Jo’s tea was well received and what was looking to be another long day proved so as the football delayed the re-start until 5.35pm.

The second innings started in a chaotic manner and ended with a tremendous piece of sportsmanship off the first ball, hit by Hafeez straight to cover who set off. Dennis answered the call, but a yes-no-yes-sorry scenario saw Dennis stranded at the keeper’s end having not faced…but the keeper then put his hand up and said that he had broken the stumps before collecting the ball. Batsman recalled, cue round of applause.

Things settled down after a few potential drop & go singles were declined; and realising this wasn’t going to be a way of scoring runs Hafeez started dealing in boundaries. Four nice ones until he was strangled down the leg-side for 19.

Kelso – given the No.3 spot by a generous Khara – was fluent from the off; starting with back to back boundaries and he raced past 30 whilst Dennis dropped anchor.

The visitors started to run out of change bowling options and the partnership reached 95 before Kelso, who reached his half-century with a nice straight six – was castled by I.Asad for 56 from 58 who was pretty sharp, but erratic to the point that cap was swapped for helmet.

Foster continued to keep the board ticking nicely and 24 from 18 saw another 50 added in just under seven overs. He fell pulling a short ball straight up in the air with eighteen runs needed and plenty of overs to spare.

This allowed the President to have his turn, and it was worth the wait as a cultured cut through the covers opened his account, then a couple more boundaries soon after tied the scores. There was no winning hit as a wild beamer with the scores level completed a very satisfying win.

Dennis made full use of the opposition’s generosity, batting through for a chanceless 55 not out from 94 balls faced with ten fours, the ninth a glorious straight drive to bring up his fifty. Dad will buy a jug for us when we have a game where more of us are around as a few had to leave straight away given the late finish.

Had the game gone the distance we were looking at a 9pm-ish finish. After last week solutions to improve opposition over-rates must be sought. The alarm was set close to 10.30pm as the visitors also stopped back to talk over the day’s events. Thanks to Bondy who helped with the bar and the tidy-up operation.

Stay tuned to the site for details of next Sunday’s activities. We have a Trust League game at Godalming, but the President also has something nice in store for everyone. Keep your diaries clear!

Scorecard :