First Aid Kit

2nd XI beaten by Streatham & Marlborough

Saturday 9th June 2018
Travelbag Surrey Championship Division 3 – 2nd XI Competition
Streatham & Marlborough 2nd XI 281 for 6 declared (43 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon 2nd XI 115 all out (30.4 overs)
Streatham & Marlborough 2nd XI won by 166 runs

When you’re at the bottom of the table you need a few things to go your way, and pretty much nothing did for the 2nd XI at the Rec.

Yet it all started so well. Alex Bond, (5-0-15-2), castled both openers in a hostile opening spell before having to come out of the attack, and effectively the match, when damaging his shoulder with a committed effort to save a boundary.

Next pair Spry and Acheson then added 83 as captain Jase Earl involved as many of the bowling options he had at his disposal as possible; Duncan Elder and Alex Clinton slowing things down as drinks approached. Jeremy Connell took the third wicket when Acheson, (45 from 44), mis-pulled a short one and Kane Fullalove, one of two Stokers to take the gloves after all keeping resources in the Club this weekend were either unavailable, injured or re-directed to the 1st XI, moved from behind the stumps to complete the catch.

118 for 3, but hopes of chipping away at the middle order were dashed as Spry and No.5 Vanderpant added another 129 runs, making full use of the gaps in the field that became even wider when Connell was lost to a nasty injury, the ball going through his hands and into his face as he attempted a catch on the line. Cue another lengthy stoppage – it was a long afternoon with injuries, lost balls and mid-wicket batsmen conferences.

Nevertheless Stoke kept going and picked up some bowling points for their efforts. Elder, (2 for 44), returned to the attack and picked up Vanderpant, (who scored most of his 57 in the cow corner region), caught at backward point by Fullalove who was now a circle fielder after his keeping stint; Williamson, (17 from 9), had his middle stump knocked over soon after; and Earl bowled Lee in what would be his final over.

Spry had constructed a fine innings and visiting captain Sharif called time at the end of the over that he completed his century; 101 not out from 114 balls with 15 fours and a six. Stoke were given a minimum of 57 overs to chase down Streatham & Marlborough’s formidable total of 281 for 6.

After tea Moumer Khara fell in the first over trying to give the innings a flyer but Andy Berry and Max Subba Row looked in good order until the former chipped Sarwavkhan to mid-wicket.

Subba Row and Fullalove ticked things over nicely as there were plenty of gaps due to the attacking fields. Just as things were starting to turn Stoke’s way though Subba Row, who had reached 30 with little alarm and played some very nice shots, picket out mid-on.

Fullalove was playing well but was starting to lose partners. Roddy Kelso cut one to the cordon to give Sarwavkhan, who bowled with a lot of heart, figures of 10-1-33-3, then in the last over before drinks Alex Clinton was surprisingly lost to a stumping having played well for his 19.

Fullalove took fourteen in one over before his progress was cut short on 37, and 102 for 6 was soon 115 ‘all’ out as Earl was castled and Elder middled a full toss to the only fielder not within ten yards of the bat. On other days and grounds this mighty hit to deep square would easily have been a six. This just about summed up Stoke’s fortune, or lack of it, all afternoon.

With no prospect of victory, a draw or any batting points Bond and Connell were not asked to bat and the visitors, who played the game in a good spirit and stuck around for quite a while afterwards despite the long journey home, deservedly took maximum points.

Stoke will hope for better fortune next Saturday when they travel to Egham for what will be the first meeting between the clubs at any level of senior cricket since the 12th August 1989.

Scorecard :