2nd XI beat Alleyn

Saturday 20th May 2017
Travelbag Surrey Championship Division 4 – 2nd XI Competition
Alleyn 2nd XI 149 for 6 (50 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon 2nd XI 150 for 5 (33.5 overs)
Stoke D’Abernon 2nd XI won by 5 wickets

Stoke’s 2nd XI recorded their first win of the season at the third attempt with a five wicket victory over Alleyn, moving above them in the table in the process.

Whilst winning the toss handed Stoke an advantage, the bowlers still needed to do their jobs, and they delivered. Adrian Mills bowled his ten over allocation through for the concession of just six runs with five maidens, picking up the wicket of Berglund who drove loosely to Roddy Kelso in the covers.

Earl snicked off visiting captain Clayton, (both openers made five), arguably he could have gone earlier than he did with a couple of chances going to ground that should more often than not be taken. Late call-up Ralph Coleman replaced Earl for the overs up to drinks and although wicketless he can be pleased with his contribution given his state of health this time last week.

With Duncan Elder bowling good lines after Mills was bowled out, drinks were taken with the run rate barely above two per over.

Knowing that the visitors needed to change momentum, the dangerous Moncrieffe, (20), tried to up the rate but hit a ball from Kelso to Andy Page who made a one-handed grab in the covers; but next man Foster was also positive and this rubbed off on No.3 Oriakhel who, having struggled to hit the ball off the square before drinks, found some fluency afterwards.

Wickets were hard to come by but Stoke didn’t chase them and kept to their plans. Elder bowled tightly, Page bowled four overs without conceding a boundary; and the beneficiary of this was Giacomo Gray, (2 for 31), who collected the wickets of Foster for 18, caught at backward point by Coleman; then Berry casually caught Brook for 19. Brook’s knock included the innings’ only six.

In the closing overs Oriakhel completed his half century, but his curious innings ended when he was run out by Earl, (10-2-25-1), off his own bowling in the final over. 54 was a good effort on the pitch, but his slow start put pressure on those who followed, and in the closing overs he repeatedly swung himself off his feet, failing to connect with much when getting bat on ball would have been more profitable. The innings closed on 149 for 6 with the potentially dangerous Van Der Merwe facing just one ball.

Not wanting to make the same slow start that the visitors did, Malcolm Dickson and Berry were positive from the off. Dickson steered a ball from Brook to the keeper, and Will Gudgeon followed soon after when he was out to the first ball he went hard at, mid-wicket holding on; but Berry was in good touch and was merciless with anything errant from the bowlers.

In contrast to the Stoke bowlers there was plenty to hit, and in partnership with Gray the hundred was reached by the drinks interval with no further loss; although Berry could count himself fortunate not to hole out on the line, an inattentive fielder spotting the opportunity too late and tipping the ball over the line on the full one-handed when use of two hands looked to be a better option.

Berry, (63), and Gray were both out soon after the break. Gray constructed a nice innings of 34; but there were no nerves as Earl and Kelso carried on at a decent rate to move Stoke towards the finish line.

Kelso missed a full toss the ball after hitting a nice four down the ground; so it was left to Earl and Page to knock off the remaining runs; Page making the winning hit through point with over 16 overs to spare. Earl walked off 19 not out.

A great effort by Hoppy to get a pitch playable.

Hopefully Stoke should take some momentum from this. Next up is another home game, this time against promoted Merstham who have won two of their three games. Stoke would move above them with a win, though.

Scorecard : http://sdacc.play-cricket.com/website/results/2897550